
I have been debating whether or not to post this on my blog, only because it was such a scary, scary thing for Joel to experience and something to not be taken lightly. Last week he was up in our central mountains snowmobiling with his brothers, Stephen, Tony, Scott and a couple of their friends. They do this trip every year (it's up near Sun Valley) and stay at a really cool lodge for two days/ two nights usually. This last Tuesday afternoon, Joel's brother Scott was caught in this avalanche. He wasn't doing anything crazy or unusual. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Joel had even been up there before him (they all had) luckily though they were only going one at a time. By the time Joel reached him (he was at the bottom, watching, as they all were) they nearly had him dug out. They weren't sure where he landed so Joel and another brother had gone around a different way to look for him there. One of the friends saw his boot sticking up (luckily) although they all wear beacons, but I'm afraid in this case it could have been too late, so thank goodness for his boot showing! When the other guys had got him out of the hole he was not breathing, so Joel grabbed him and started doing mouth-to-mouth while another guy did chest compressions. It took awhile, but his brother Scott is actually just fine. I'm sure it was just a matter of minutes (if not seconds) and the story would have been a lot different. Joel talked to a doctor at church yesterday telling him about it and the doctor told him it was probably the CPR that saved him for sure. Joel luckily had had a "refresher" course lately in Young Men's on how to do mouth-to-mouth. Scott had a hard time coming to and was very scared. They realize how lucky they are to have found him and he did not have any broken bones. It truly is amazing. The same week there were 3 snowmobilers killed in one by Jackson Hole, WY. It scares me to death, although I am so grateful there were so many strong guys there who had the equipment they needed to get Scott out and were prepared in case this DID happen. So, anyway, I post this so that it may be a reminder to all to take precautions, be prepared, and give that loved one one last hug before they leave to go anywhere!
12 comments:
Holy Cow, Michelle! What a scary thing. Thanks for the reminder. I don't plan on being anyplace near avalanche territory, but I do plan on being more appreciative of the here-and now and the important people in my life. So starting with you: You are amazing and have been such a wonderful friend for so many years. Love ya Michelle! I hope you have a great week!
Wow Michelle! I am so sorry that is a scary scary experiance and one that will never be forgot. I am so happy that it turned out ok and that Joel had had his refresher course. That makes me want to brush up on my CPR training just in case! Thanks for posting the story it helps to remind of all the important things in life!
:(
Great post! We love Joel!
How scary! I'm glad that everything turned out okay. Good thing that they knew what to do and knew CPR! We all need to take a refresher course so we can be prepared. I always say I'm going to but never do. Thanks for the reminder and also the reminder to let those we love know. Thanks for the post and for all you do.
I can't wait to see your cowgirl shirt in person!! It looks super cute in the photo you posted. I'm glad you guys had a great time at the concert. What a perfect valentine's gift to give each other! ;)
I'm also glad that things didn't turn out badly on the snowmobiling trip...That pic is crazy!
Glad everyone is ok - that is so scarry!
Oh my word Michelle. I'm so glad that everyone ended up ok. It seems like there have been so many more avalanches than normal this year. They are so lucky. It is one of those things that no matter how safe you try to be, you never know what might happen.
I'm sure that was so scary for everyone there...I'm glad it turned out okay. I think everyone would benefit by learning CPR..I know I did. Good Job Joel, I'm sure your brother is very grateful!
I thought when my kids got married that I wouldn't need to worry so much about them! Was I wrong! Now I have 3 in-laws and 9 grandbabies to fret about. We love you Joel....so glad you were there to help Scott. I am afraid that we will have to ground you from your snow machine for awhile though. Now be a good boy or we will have to lock you in your room!! ( haha)
I stole your story...
You guys are so lucky they found him so quick. Dang that is scary. You never know when something like that can happen.
That is so scary! I am glad everyone was OK. Joel is a hero! What a story! The concert looks fun. You guys are very cute.
Post a Comment